March 20, 2005

 

I can take or leave it as I please.

I was going to post a rant about the ongoing Schiavo case--or circus, if you're a cynic (I plead no contest), but lost all desire to in further acquainting myself with facts of the whole sad mess. I do hope the current phase of Congress suddenly screeching and feathers-flying notice--like a flock of sleeping seagulls suddenly activating when one of them comes awake, spots a fish washed up on shore and croakscreams "MINE!"--backfires on them, but rather doubt it will.

Anyway, the very best thing I take from the whole affair is as a push to get a living will of some sort

posted by Gar @ 1:18 AM
This would be a much easier decision for me (as if it were mine to make) if I could divine what the lady actually wants. But we don't know. Everyone's word is in doubt. What I would want is whatever she would want to have happen to her. I believe fully in the right to live or die as one chooses.

However, I can't really get all worked up over this since it's a woman I don't really know (monkeysphere) and when you come right down to it the fact is that people die every day. And despite what we choose to say and remember about it it's seldome pretty, sometimes peaceful. A woman I don't know dying doesn't emotionally affect me very much ....

What does affect me is the way people are reacting to this unfortunate situation. I can easily get far more interested and concerned about what this means not for Terri, but for the rest of us. What would that be? Well, I have some ideas, but I'm not going to prognosticate without some contemplation.

As for myself, a living will would be a good idea, but I periodically remind my wife that if I were incapacited she is to at all costs keep me alive under any circumstance. No matter whether I beg to die, no matter how much it costs, no matter how inconvenient it may be for any party involved, I would choose life and hope over an unknown alternative. Not that I fear death, but why go if you don't have to?

Then again, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?