April 25, 2006

 

Survive Style 5+ review

During the first half or so of the film, I was pretty sure that my review was going to echo a two-word review I once wrote about "Shaolin Soccer." That review was, and I quote: "Holy. Shit." Among other things, it featured a breakfast scene between one of the main characters and his wife (the one he'd killed in the opening scene, by the way) that's one of the funniest things I've seen in quite awhile.

The entire thing's exceptionally visually busy. Primary colors everywhere, all very bright, and just packed full of an enormous amount of bric-a-brac and just plain stuff. It's sort of like Paul Thomas Anderson's (dude behind Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, etc.) set design ran headlong into a Fisher-Price paint factory and exploded and then was reconstructed from the colorful debris by schizotypal interior decorators. It's glorious.

The latter half of the movie gets more mellow overall, even bittersweet in places; not in a way that really damaged the flick in my view, but changed the initial review from two words to many. Good stuff.

posted by Gar @ 3:13 PM
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?