April 25, 2005

 

who dropped his tools and his keys and left

I periodically wonder how impenetrable my usual slapdash sort of casual writing is, and of course they have formulas for such things. Currently, here's where I stand, according to this site (you know with a domain name like "Juicy Studio" it's a rigorously academic center):

Total sentences 187
Total words 2,217
Average words per Sentence 11.86
Words with 1 Syllable 1,453
Words with 2 Syllables 470
Words with 3 Syllables 170
Words with 4 or more Syllables 124
Percentage of word with three or more syllables 13.26%
Average Syllables per Word 1.53
Gunning Fog Index 10.05
Flesch Reading Ease 65.10
Flesch-Kincaid Grade 7.12

Somewhere foggily between a year or two back, whenever my peak blogging activity on livejournal was, my Flesch-Kincaid grade was something like 11, so clearly I'm backsliding. I'll have to pump up the syllables.

I've mentioned before that I'd been playing a fair amount of World of Warcraft. It's got the common design that when you do good things, you get experience. Not just vaguely-defined character-building sort of experience, but an actual number. Frequently, it just bursts into being above your head--usually, games being what they are, after you kill something. (I'd still like to see a game that takes the implications of that more seriously. See also Killer Instinct. Pen-and-paper wise, I think Sorcerer could probably do the trick pretty well. But I digress.)

I've also been preparing for a looming move, and me being who I am, that's involved some procrastination as to things like packing and cleaning and whatnot. As one example of just how much of a geek I am, I had the thought over the last few days--that being when I've finally started moving under deadline pressure--that such tedious and inherently unfun tasks would actually be easier to get done if, for example, every time I got another box properly filled and taped up, a burst of XP numbers appeared over my head. Especially if I also had a progress meter that showed how close I was to leveling up.

I figure that shortly before I sleep tonight, the trusty computer is being boxed up (I'm sending it separately via UPS, movers being slower as they are, and me being a geek as I am). I will then be out of internet-type contact for FOUR WHOLE DAYS. Pretty intense stuff, that.

I've seen elsewhere that this is apparently "turn off your TV week," which is also pretty intense stuff for other folks. Intensity of these things vary by person.

posted by Gar @ 4:39 PM
I chose to celebrate "turn the fucking TV off, for Chrissakes" week by ordering HD service with a dual tuner DVR and a 27" Panasonic HDTV. Take that, Luddites!

The TV is okay, the price is right, and it fits in the old style entertainment center. Only one component input could be a liability for some, but I have no problems hooking up everything required. After tweaking of the picture I now have it to the point where pixellation is barely noticeable on the standard def programming and the HD picture is bright and very distinct.

And now I will never miss Battlestar Galactica again. I swear if they cancel that show I'm going to commit suicide and that'll show Mom.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?