August 21, 2005

 

Someone's at the door!

From rare time to time, I learn about an upcoming DVD release that inspires true joy, usually old favorites that just quietly pop up one day. Scanners--a truly formative B-movie experience for me--was one. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead was another (ironically, one I still don't have, aside from a region-free and generally poor-quality one of dubious provenance). At some point in the future, I hope, the animated The Tick series will be another (it is a crime against humanity and Scrod that the halfhearted live-action attempt has been out for, on rough measure, twice the actual lifetime of dvd). I can hope, at least.

But in the meantime, American Gothic is getting released. Whoever made the Go decision on that one is my shordurpersav for awhile.

I'm hoping the memory survives impact with the reality, but it's a crash I'm happy to test.

Tangential: the show is tied into a memory of a brief conversation with a friend that makes me grin to recall. It went something like this:

Me: It's definitely my favorite show right now. That dead chick got all avenging-angel Biblical Plague last week and gave the town ebola. That rocked.
Her: (uncomfortably) I don't know...I just can't get past how evil the sheriff is. It really seems unnecessary.
Me: (pause) You do know he's Satan, right? Not figuratively, but literally the devil?
Her: (lightbulb appearing) Oh! That's much better!

My memory is very clear and inerrant on this point: a cartoon lightbulb really did materialize above her head.

posted by Gar @ 2:54 AM
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?